Tuesday 18 December 2012

Meconopsis

Trying to make the most of my studio before it becomes the guest room for Christmas visitors, I was determined to paint one more painting before they arrived!
I have tried to grow these beautiful flowers several times, but they are plants which enjoy rocky terrain with good drainage, so my water-logged clay means that I have never succeeded, so I have painted from photos in gardening books!

The paper is my usual Fabriano Artistico Extra White 'Not' paper. Unfortunately it is a new block and has come detached from the cardboard backing, and when I returned from Art Group on Thursday the two sections had become completely separated. I must have put the block back in the cover the wrong way around without noticing, and it was not until I had done the initial wash and was two thirds through the drawing that I realised that I was working on the wrong side of the paper.

I am not sure how much difference this makes, although the texture is nicer on the right side, but I also noticed that the block is separating half way down, and when painting with fair amounts of water, the individual pages are lifting, which defeats the object of working on a block!  Call me picky, but surely paper of that quality should be more fit for purpose than that.
I did think it was maybe just a one-off flaw, but when I consulted my painting pal, Jan said she was having exactly the same problem......not good enough in my opinion.


Anyway, enough of the moaning and on to the painting. I started by painting an initial wash using the predominant colours in the photos (I used several photos to give me various views of the flower heads) and then I lightly pencilled in the drawing.

I painted the flowers using various combinations of all my blues except indigo....Cobalt, Ultramarine,Anthaquinachridone, Teal and Pthalo.
I tried to keep some of the petals crisply defined, and some I tried to lose their edges. On the LH side the flower head was painted quite loosely as well.

It wasn't a very long task as I wanted to keep everything quite light, so there was no need to darken the background, which can take some time when you have to paint around all the petals and stems, or add too much foliage, which I tried to keep very low key. The stamens were added using white Acrylic Gouache and cadmium orange and yellow.

I did find the finished result a bit 'cold' so I carefully added the lightest touch of Quinachridone Magenta to the tips of a number of the petals and some of the same colour into the darkest areas to add a little warmth to the painting.


                                                          'Meconopsis'    26cm x 36cm

Now that I look at it on screen, I think I do need to graduate out a little, the dark areas that I have painted behind the top two flowers, or maybe I will just lighten the existing dark patches with a little water and kitchen towel.

14 comments:

  1. Pure magic Yvonne. The colours, the technique and of course the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray, for your very flattering comment. I am really pleased that you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I forgot. Merry Christmas to you and yours and look forward to your work in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, Ray, and I am sure I will still be painting in 2013.

      Delete
  3. Another enjoyable post with the interesting process information about that lovely loose first wash. The way you build the detail on top of it ensures a really coherent image.

    All the best to you and yours for the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick, the process is one I really enjoy, but the purists might quibble as I have to use acrylic gouache to get some of the whites back!

      Delete
  4. Meconopsis are lovely plants with the true blue considered exceptional - iconic in fact. In the wild they grow in acid soil and are not easy plants because they enjoy the rarified atmosphere of the Himalayas. Different soils affect the colour as well as making them harder to grow well if at all.

    Lovely painting as usual but on my monitor at least the blue is on the pale side whereas the true plant is a really deep shade of blue in its best forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for both the comment and the info included. We all have sterotype images of what we think some plants should be, but the Royal Horticultyral Society A-Z of plants suggests that this type of Meconopsis (the yellow Welsh poppies also belong to this group) can be of a variety of shades of bright blue, sometimes purple blue and sometimes white, and I think the painting is a fair rendition of the photo I had in front of me, but I would be the first to admit that the commercial printing in some of these books bears little resemblance to the object photographed. The important thing is that you liked the treatment of the painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having seen the photograph you used as a reference Yvonne I agree it's a true rendition but the point I was making has nothing to do with stereotype images. Meconopsis do include a variety of different coloured species but the true blue Meconopsis betonicifolia is considered the creme de la creme of blue-flowered plants, apart maybe from some Gentians. A search on Google brings up many illustrations of this superb deep blue flower.

      Delete
    2. Take your point Peter. Thanks for replying.

      Delete
  6. What lovely blue flowers! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Laura, and season's greetings to you as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I buy this picture to print it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for liking the painting, but I am afraid it has been sold, which means that it cannot be printed for any commercial purposes

    ReplyDelete