Saturday 17 May 2014

On the Beach

Just a quick post to show you what happened at AVA this week.
I was totally unprepared. I have been busy with some occasional work and we had visitors all Wednesday evening. I was, therefore totally unprepared for the group meeting. On Thursday morning I grabbed a piece of 'Cornwall' paper, my bag of painting gear and a pot of Galeria's 'Heavy Structure Gel' which I had come across whilst clearing out a cupboard. I have no idea what made me buy the stuff and it was new and unused.
My idea was that I would use the paste for some sea or sand texture and if the whole thing was a disaster, I could blame it on the experimental work that failed!!

On arrival, I had to do something that I have never done before which was to paint from imagination. I kept it simple, dividing the composition into vaguely three strips....one third sky, one third beach huts on sand and one third water/shoreline.

I started with the gel. I sort of expected it to dry like gesso, but in fact it remained fairly soft throughout, a bit like the mastic used to seal double glazing windows or bathroom fittings. I spread the gel using a toothbrush and a palette knife to put in some water texture, and some sand and rock. As its white it was difficult to see what was happening. I did try to dry it with the hairdryer, as time was limited, and that was reasonably successful.

I painted in a wash for the sky, drew in a very simple row of beach huts and a wash for the sea and sand.

Then it was just a case of trying to remember what each of the elements would look like. I painted the sand too dark so it became a rocky outcrop, which meant I needed to devise a set of steps to access the beach, and I needed to link beach and sky together, so added a mass of trees, and greenery behind the huts.together with a little fence. When I added the sand and water, I was reasonably surprised how successful the gel was at creating little ripple waves.

As usual, a bit of splatter completed the effort.

In hindsight, I think the gel was a waste of money for me, as I do not think I will be tempted to use it again, so an acrylic painting member of the club might benefit from my mistaken purchase. But, as usual, it was great fun to give it a go!


                                                                       'Beach Huts'
                                              Mixed media on Cornwall paper by Hahnemuhle
                                                                         450 gms

8 comments:

  1. I think this came out lovely. I like the colours, the texture and the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ann for being such a supportive reader. I am glad you think the painting is ok. It is good to stretch oneself occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your beach huts, very clever to adapt to the way the paint worked by placing rocks,gives the painting more interest, I like the way the waves have some nice texture on their edges from using the gel,it's fun to try new things.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome to the blog, Betty. I am glad that the gel proved effective for you, but I do not think I will be using it again. I prefer gesso.

      Delete
  4. Hi Yvonne, it's beaut being able to click on your photo for a larger version. Can really see it in detail. I love how this painting evolved. I tend to be a bit reticent about painting just using my imagination or memory, which is something I'm working on. The freedom of painting is great isn't it - sand into rocks within an instant. Appreciate you sharing your experience and I too like how the gel created a lot of movement to the water - a nice bit of spray there too :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments Susan. I am really outside my comfort zone when I have no source material and no prepared drawing. So it is all the more pleasing that you like the painting.

      Delete
  5. This does look like fun. Lovely cheerful painting. I have done exactly the same as you and the texture medium is in the back of the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Polly, it really was fun once I got started, but why oh why do we buy these things. I have a cupboard full of gadgets as well that I thought would do my paintings some good. I need a real clear out!

      Delete