Wednesday 8 February 2017

Wildflower Meadow

This week at Avon Valley Artists Group, the subject was 'Wild Aspects'
There were lots of wild animals depicted by members and a few attempts at wild weather.
From the title of this post, you can see that, true to my leanings, I chose to attempt to paint a wildflower meadow. It is not something that I have attempted often in the past but as I do try to be a bit experimental at AVA I thought I would give it a go.
It took quite a bit of preparation, which meant work on the evening before the group met, and I was sure it would not be finished by the end of the session.
This meant that when I got home with the half finished painting, I remembered to take a photo, so am able to share a bit of the process with you.




I started the painting by opting for a high skyline, above which I lightly pencilled in a few trees.
Using masking fluid and a drawing pen, and a rubber marker, I covered the whole of the lower area with lots of stem, grass and flower shapes. I did this the night before to give the fluid chance to dry properly. By using the drawing pen I could get lots of variety in the thickness of the lines and I used the rubber marker for the more rounded fatter shapes of the flowers.
The following morning, I started by putting a pale blue wash over the tree area and well into the meadow, and a wash of variegated greens in the lower half of the painting. When it was dry, I painted in the trees. When this was dry, I carefully removed the masking fluid
It was then just a case of gradually working across the picture from left to right, I was able to work continuously as I did little bits from top, middle and bottom, allowing small sections to dry as I worked elsewhere.


When all the flowers and stems and grasses where finished, I over-painted some darker stems etc especially in the base of the painting. I added a few daisies into these dark grasses




I tried to make the meadow recede by painting the flowers in a bit more detail and obviously bigger at the front with only a series od dots right at the back with a few tall straggly stems growing into the sky area.
It was quite a repetitive process, and did take some time to complete, but I had lots of fun, and am glad I gave it a go!

11 comments:

  1. Just want to say how lovely your blog is. I discovered it by chance last week and your work is inspirational. I have just started painting again (had a couple of half-hearted and short-lived attempts in the past which ended in disappointment!).

    Your beautiful work has encouraged me to keep going. I love this happy Wild Meadow. Beautiful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that the blog has encouraged and inspired you. Thank you for the lovely comments and whatever happens, keep painting.

      Delete
  2. wonderful this pianting!
    nice happy weekend
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elke. I am so pleased that you like the painting.

      Delete
  3. "Happy"--like Carol above said. The colors and subject and application make this such a happy painting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the first comment. I also randomly (or serendipitously) came across your blog today. Im so glad i did. Your work is a joy to look at, i appreciate you sharing your processes', and inspires me to dig in and paint more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. I am so pleased that you enjoy looking at the work

      Delete